MONOCHLOROACETIC ACID (MCA) (ClCH2CO2H) is a colorless or white crystalline solid, highly hygroscopic, sharp odor, inflammable, soluble in water and common organic solvent.
MCA is organochlorine compound is a useful building-block in organic synthesis.
SYNONYMS: Chloroacetic acid, Chloroethanoic acid, Monochloroethanoic acid, MCAA, MCA.
IUPAC NAME: Chloroacetic acid SYSTEMATIC IUPAC NAME: Chloroethanoic acid CAS REGISTRY NUMBER: 79-11-8 EC NUMBER: 201-178-4
UN NUMBER: 1751
CHEMICAL FORMULA: C2H3ClO2
Appearance Colorless or White crystals
Solubility Soluble in water & common organic solvents such as Methanol, Acetone, Diethyl Ether, Benzene, Chloroform, Ethanol
Molecular Weight 94.50
Melting Point 63 °C
Boiling Point 189 °C
Specific Gravity 1.37
Setting Point 61 °C to 62.5 °C
Highly Hygroscopic, Sharp Odor (Pungent), Inflammable, Toxic & Corrosive
Chemical formula C2H3ClO2
Monochloroacetic Acid 99.00% Min
Dichloroacetic Acid 0.50% Max
Other Acid 0.50% Max
Monochloroacetic Acid (MCA) is use in the production of a wide variety of useful compounds such as drugs, dyes, agrochemicals and thickening agents. Most reactions take advantage of the high reactivity of the C–Cl bond.
Applications are in Manufacturing of
1) Various Agrochemicals viz 2,4-D (2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid), 2,4,5-T (2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid), MCPA (2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid), Glyphosate and Dimethoate are prepared by alkylation with MCAA.
2) Drugs such as Adrenaline (Epinephrine), Vitamins, Synthetic Caffeine, Malonates, Glycine, Barbiturates etc.
3) Amphoteric Surfactants which used in shampoos, baby and children cleansing formulations, shower and bath gels, body and facial washes and shaving foam, also in skin care products like cleansing milks or eye-make up removers.
4) Glycolic acid (Hydroxyacetic Acid), Thioglycolic Acid and Cyanoacetic Acid.
5) Textile Auxiliaries & Dyestuffs (Indigo).
6) Hydrocolloids such as Sodium Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC), Sodium Carboxy Methyl Starch (CMS), Sodium Carboxy Methyl Tamarind (CMT), Sodium Carboxy Methyl Guar Gum (CMG).
25Kg or 50 Kg HDPE Bags with double inner LDPE liner.